To ensure Sustainable Development in Bangladesh by leaving no one behind in most possible short time, it is imperative to address the following challenges in Energy and Power Sector:
- Appropriate energy mix by giving priority to clean energy
- Dramatic transformation of the fossil fuel-based energy infrastructure and search for alternative energy sources
- Energy security concerns regarding Geological and geopolitical realities of the availability of oil and, to some extent, natural gas
- Introduction of smart grid by incorporating energy efficiency and demand management as well as reliable energy storage systems
- Creation of competitive Energy market
The creation of Bangladesh Energy and Power Research Council (EPRC) is a response to these challenges by ensuring new supplies of affordable, sustainable energy to power the fast-growing economy of Bangladesh.
To that extent, Bangladesh Energy and Power Research Council (BEPRC) commenced its activities after the enactment of “Bangladesh Energy and Power Research Council Act, 2015” with a view to bringing technological innovation in energy and power sector as well as to ensuring energy security through research and development.
Council Motto: Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship (I2E)
Innovation: Seek innovative solutions to meet the needs in the power and energy sector;
Incubation: Provide incubation through funding and research space for entrepreneurs to try out new solutions;
Entrepreneurship: Link entrepreneurs with investors – both domestic and foreign – to market their findings in Bangladesh and globally.
Goal of BEPRC:
- Develop an international online clearinghouse to highlight research needs in the country’s energy and power sector and attract innovative solutions to meet such needs;
- Strengthen and consolidate domestic research capabilities to address the national energy and power infrastructural needs;
- Improve administrative and financial set up to support research;
- Fund, coordinate and monitor research grants and scholarships;
- Generate client-oriented and demand-driven appropriate technology; and
- Publicize research outputs.
Responsibilities of BEPRC:
- Preparation & Implementation of short, medium & long term research plans on energy & power technologies.
- Co-ordinate, monitor & evaluate research works.
- Aware & motivate R&D on power & energy development, energy efficiency, energy conservation and savings.
- Encourage and coordinate public and private research institutions in carrying out research in the field of Power & Energy.
- Involve renowned national & international researchers & scientists in the research works of the council.
- Advance & improve the existing technologies and innovate new technologies in the field of Power & Energy.
- Reduction of generation cost from RE and cost of energy efficient products through innovation in science & technologies.
- Arrangement of seminars, symposiums, workshops to disseminate the results of research activities & its publications.
- Establishment of research & testing laboratories. Capacity building of researchers through necessary training and higher education.
- Arrangement of required funds for R&D activities and to ensure the use of technologies.
- Preparation of required rules & regulations for implementation of the Act.
- Identify the problems and barriers to the development of the sectors and advise the Government to resolve such problems.